RE: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Mon Dec 17 2001 - 09:07:25 EET

> "if we get everyone to switch to alsa, then everyone can share audio
> interfaces".
>
> "if we teach everyone how to use LD_PRELOAD and they accept it, then
> everyone can share audio interfaces without even switching to ALSA."

Well this sounds like a win-win situation and we should advertise it as
such, and I mean advertise it BIG TIME. I think that the idea of not
having to worry about polling sound signals to the dsp resource sounds
so appealing, since that makes one less thing for a programmer to worry
about :-).

> "if we get everyone to switch to alsa, and they use the poll interface
> via ALSA to control their workflow, and/or only read/write avail_min
> chunks of data, then they'll be ready for their app to work in a
> synchronous execution system, of which JACK is an example."
>
> Just to keeps things complex...

When the benefits are so great, the complexities are easy to overcome :)

Ico