Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: Fred Gleason (fredg_AT_www.wava.com)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 04:12:03 EET

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Jussi Laako wrote:

> Windows is good example of total API mess where there is different API for
> all the different twinkles, different error codes, etc. And I think it as
> Bad Thing(tm). It's platform where you have to write two hundred lines of
> code, call fifty functions and fill twenty large structures just to get
> single sample out of soundcard and then the thing goes *boom*...

I can still remember the "ah-ha" moment back around 1997 when I discovered
audio on Linux. I had a project on a tight deadline that needed to be
able to automatically record and then play back an audio cut based on very
tight time tolerences (within a second). My first thought was to
implement it in WinNT, but things quickly got so complex that I realized
it was going to take a month or more just to get the thing going. Then I
tried it on Linux/OSS -- and had beta code *on the air* forty-eight hours
later. It sure opened my eyes, and I've never looked back.

Sure, OSS ain't perfect, but neither would you trash the design of a car
because it can't fly. It's stable, well documented and works well within
the limited set of audio applications it was designed for (attributes not
notably part of the ALSA feature set at present).

Just my $.02 US

Cheers!

|Frederick F. Gleason, Jr.|WAVA Radio - 105 FM |Voice: 1-(703)-807-2266 |
| Director of Engineering |1901 N. Moore Street| FAX: 1-(703)-807-2245 |
| |Arlington, VA 22209 | Web: http://www.wava.com|
| DALLAS: |
| The city that chose Astroturf to |
| keep the cheerleaders from grazing. |