Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] So, what to do about it? (was: Still I cannot understand why...)
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Dec 18 2001 - 04:42:48 EET

>i'm sorry, but i don't understand. the rate at which data comes in
>from the s/pdif interface is fixed. the if cd recording device is not
>able to adjust its 'pitch', i.e. record at a rate slightly higher/lower
>than its nominal recording rate, it will eventually xrun, if that is
>the correct term for it, right?

the rate at which data arrives over s/pdif *is* the exact sample rate
that the CD is burning at (well, unless you're insane). there is no
need for throttling, pitch control or anything like that. you just
buffer the data on startup to protect against latency glitches,
convert the samples to 16bit, big-endian (the red book standard), and
feed it to the CD recorder. end of story (other than the little
details).

--p