Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hard-drives and soundcard support

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Hard-drives and soundcard support
From: Pieter Palmers (pieter.palmers_AT_student.kuleuven.ac.be)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 18:02:26 EET

> A Cautionary tale:

> I bought a pair of IBM 40's for my ASUS A7A266 motherboard. Mandrake 8.1
would
> run weirdly for about a week, then I would have to reinstall it. Windows
2000
> Pro declared them corrupt right of the bat and wouldn't load at all.
After
> three months of changing every jumper setting and BIOS option available,
> tried the "32 Meg clip" setting on the hard drives, everything works fine
now.

> I understand drive size is no obstacle for Linux operating systems,
however it
> is an obstacle for some PIII motherboard BIOS's which can only handle up
to 32
> Gigs, I don't know if there's a way to go straight to the operating
system
> without the BIOS being involved, if there is I like to know about it, as
> have 16 Gigs of storage languishing in my machine.

> So beware. Bigger is not always better [insert tasteless joke here].

> Blair

I'm running a A7A266 with a 40gb maxtor drive, and I have no HD problems
at all.
Maybe updating your bios helps. In fact, updating your bios is not at all
a bad idea,
the A7A266 isn't the best mainboard ASUS released... (understatement)
I had several problems with the standard BIOS, that disapeared after
installing the latest BIOS.

I'd advise anybody to stay away from the A7A (and any other board that
supports both SDRAM & DDRAM).
Performance is low... might be due to the ALI MagiK 1 chipset.

Pieter