[linux-audio-dev] Sample rate conversion (was .....)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Sample rate conversion (was .....)
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 22:31:09 EET

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 17:21:09 +0200
Juhana Sadeharju <kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi> wrote:

> >Been there; done that; have no desire to do it again. Resampled 48khz to
> >44.1 khz sounds worse to my ears than the D/A->A/D converted signal.
> [ ... ]
> >IMHO, 88.2 sounds better than 96, if the result is going on Red Book CD.
>
> So, we need a good resampler plug-in too to avoid above problems.

I have been working on one of these for some time.

My version uses sinc interpolation by small integer factors (2,3,4,..) followed
by linear or cubic interpolation. This should even allow time varying SRC.

The last hurdle to be overcome is the design of the FIR interpolators. Its
relatively easy to design poor ones and very difficult to design good ones.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
Microsoft : Yesterday's software running on today's
hardware tomorrow.