[linux-audio-dev] Re: Hard-drives and soundcard support

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Hard-drives and soundcard support
From: Paul (set_AT_pobox.com)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 05:05:11 EET

Wa Ditti <wa.ditti_AT_sympatico.ca>, on Tue Dec 18, 2001 [08:38:23 PM] said:
> A Cautionary tale:
>
> I bought a pair of IBM 40's for my ASUS A7A266 motherboard. Mandrake 8.1 would
> run weirdly for about a week, then I would have to reinstall it. Windows 2000
> Pro declared them corrupt right of the bat and wouldn't load at all. After
> three months of changing every jumper setting and BIOS option available, I
> tried the "32 Meg clip" setting on the hard drives, everything works fine now.
>
> I understand drive size is no obstacle for Linux operating systems, however it
> is an obstacle for some PIII motherboard BIOS's which can only handle up to 32
> Gigs, I don't know if there's a way to go straight to the operating system
> without the BIOS being involved, if there is I like to know about it, as I
> have 16 Gigs of storage languishing in my machine.
>
> So beware. Bigger is not always better [insert tasteless joke here].
>
> Blair

        Hi.

        Recent kernels should not have problems (once running)
with large drives (>33.8G) Linux only uses the BIOS during
booting. There may be ways to recover your drive space. This
excellent document has much to say:

http://www.linux.com/howto/Large-Disk-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.3
(note the section on clipping drives)

Paul