Re: [linux-audio-dev] Latencytest results

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Latencytest results
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_kolumbus.fi)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 00:01:49 EET

Paul Davis wrote:

> nobody can comment much on these graphs when they are generated with
> an IDE disk system for which the hdparms set up is not reported.

Now those are reported, see below.

> however, it would appear that there are potential problems with the
> video adaptor that you have when used with XFree 4.1.99-cvs. it
> wouldn't be the first such case.

I did some driver hacking and managed to fix it, results with 2.4.16-ll
kernel and fixed radeon driver:

http://www.pp.song.fi/~visitor/latencytest3/3x256.html

> the rest of your results appear OK, though also hard to comment on
> because its not clear how the audio interface was configured by
> latencytest (2 channels? 10? etc.)

2 channels, 44.1 kHz as the default is.

> as a footnote, 2.4.12-ac3 still used the vanRiel VM system, which is
> known to perform poorly under extreme system load.

Results with 2.4.16-ll are at:

http://www.pp.song.fi/~visitor/latencytest2/3x256.html

There is nasty problem with disk IO (cache) which I think is fixed in 2.4.17
so I'm not going to hack 2.4.16.

 - Jussi Laako

----- 8< ------

/dev/hdb:
 multcount = 16 (on)
 I/O support = 1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq = 1 (on)
 using_dma = 1 (on)
 keepsettings = 0 (off)
 nowerr = 0 (off)
 readonly = 0 (off)
 readahead = 8 (on)
 geometry = 2491/255/63, sectors = 40020624, start = 0