Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Still I cannot understand why...
From: dave willis (dubson_AT_dhammanet.net)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 00:04:41 EET

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Jussi Laako wrote:

> Making music mostly. It's fairly easy to learn and I have to be able
> to combine audio tracks, loop tracks, software synths and midi synths
> in reasonable way. Btw. I make mostly progressive trance, hard house
> and some remixes...

i don't doubt that you can make great music with sonar (or even say,
reason). a friend of mine has done some great things with sonar and esp.
reason, but his music ends up rather static, and he is unable to do any
performance with any artistic expression of the moment, though he was
great at mixing records as an art form (unlike many djs which just make
sure the beats match, even when the songs sound horrible together). i saw
the chemical brothers in new orleans a few years ago, and they sounded
*exactly* like the cd - that was no fun. when i saw orbital this summer,
they had some flexibility in their performance, which made it interesting.
that's what i like about the flexibility of having a hodge-podge of
programs on linux and the flexibility of programs like pd. i don't want
to write static music - i want to write performance music. i've even
built some controllers that i have no idea how to interface in windows,
but work great in linux.

> On Linux & BSD my use is entirely realtime sound analysis and
> processing.

-dave

--
perl -e'@email=split(//,".tenmhd\@nosbud");foreach$letter(@email){$
email=$letter.$email;}$email=~s/(m|net\.)/a\1\1/g;print"$email\n";'