[linux-audio-dev] wrapup on linux-audio-developer MWPP discussion ...

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] wrapup on linux-audio-developer MWPP discussion ...
From: John Lazzaro (lazzaro_AT_CS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 00:22:18 EET

[note to AVT folk -- several other MIDI-over-IP developers on the LAD
 list surfaced, an extensive discusion on the two major potential
 change areas of MWPP -- high-bandwidth MIDI streams and MIDI System
 commands -- followed.]

Hi LAD-folk,

        Thanks for all of the MWPP-related comments -- I think I
have a better understanding of the issues people have brought up.
My plans now are to revisit the MWPP document in mid-January, with
the hopes of making a few passes at incorporating the ideas discussed
before IETF 53 in Minneapolis. I'll post a pointer here on LAD when
the new document starts to take shape, for comments ...

One quick comment on Phil's last message:

> I've written some code to demonstrate
> DMIDI, someone write the same for MWPP, and lets get coding.

        Sfront's been shipping with MWPP since October, and we have
a SIP server set up at Berkeley to manage sessions. See this chapter
of the sfront manual for networking details:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/sfman/user/network/

        And see:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/

        to download the software. Note that you don't need a second
player or a MIDI keyboard to test out MWPP with sfront -- it includes
demos that use the ASCII keyboard as a MIDI controller, and which lets
you bounce packets off of Berkeley. As long as you're running Linux
(its written for OSS <duck> but reports are ALSA OSS compatibility mode
works fine, and it does include several ALSA drivers for MIDI in), and
are not behind a firewall you don't control, you can try it out.

                                                                --jl