Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sample rate conversion (was .....)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sample rate conversion (was .....)
From: Fred Gleason (fredg_AT_www.wava.com)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 01:16:07 EET

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> The official sample rates for LAD could be 48000 Hz and 96000 Hz,
> not 44100 Hz. But we need that resampler because CD is reality

Um, I'm really not sure what's meant by "official" here, but I think any
move to featuring support only for certain "official" rates would be a big
mistake. There's lots of places besides red book CDs where 44.1 is
commonly employed (look in the audio archive of just about any radio
broadcast facility). The kernel/audio drivers should support any range of
sample rate usable by the underlying hardware (applications of course are
free to do as they please). Shoot, even 8 kHz/8 bit formats are still
used for certain applications (telco integration, for example).

Cheers!

|Frederick F. Gleason, Jr.|WAVA Radio - 105 FM |Voice: 1-(703)-807-2266 |
| Director of Engineering |1901 N. Moore Street| FAX: 1-(703)-807-2245 |
| |Arlington, VA 22209 | Web: http://www.wava.com|
| Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's |
| supposed to do. |
| -- Robert A. Heinlein |