Re: [linux-audio-dev] lcp-0.2.0 available

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] lcp-0.2.0 available
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sun Dec 30 2001 - 18:36:15 EET

>> It is anticipated that most of the time, the GUI will be started
>> by the LADSPA host in response to some user action.
>
>I'd like to be able to use a text mode interface, controlling
>two or more ports (maybe on different plugins) from one program
>using the keyboard.

Its not directly on target, but you might want to check out the
interface design of ksi-ardour, a keyboard-mode interface to my DAW
engine ardour. The interface was designed by sight impaired users to
work even when you cannot see the screen. It has a fairly rich model
for handling LADSPA plugin control from a keyboard.

                     I've got this to work with your example
>server, starting my script from the command line, but it may be
>difficult (not impossible though I think) if the LADSPA host
>starts the ui programs.

i don't see why. the LCP UI is a process that the host merely
fork/exec's, passing it some info so that it knows how to contact the
host. the LCP UI process can do anything it wants, and doesn't have to
be graphical at all. in fact, it doesn't even have to be an LCP client :)

>Has anyone implemented lcp support in a host yet?

i have some pending changes to ardour that will support it, but i am
not checking them in until ardour runs with JACK.

--p