Re: [linux-audio-dev] Which Linux Distribution For ALSA?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Which Linux Distribution For ALSA?
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp23_AT_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 31 2001 - 04:54:27 EET

On Sun, Dec 30, 2001 at 05:28:09PM -0500, Len Moskowitz wrote:
> Thanks to all who responded to my previous request for live, two-channel
> recording applications.
>
> I'm ready to convert a computer to run Linux, expressly to try out ALSA.
> Might someone recommend a Linux distribution that would be relatively simple
> to install to a computer currently running Windows 98, and that won't have
> any problems running ALSA.

Hi Len, I think I remember your name from rec.audio.pro (in better,
quieter days). Nice to see you here.

I've run ALSA with no trouble on both Debian and RedHat. It should
work fine on any distribution, so the issue is really just what's
easier for you to install and learn to use. I prefer Debian's software
update system better than RedHat's. But for a newbie, RedHat's
graphic installation system is definitely more friendly.

You might want to subscribe to linux-audio-user mailing list. It's a
better forum for user-level questions like this. linux-audio-dev is
meant for software developers.
Mailing list info is at:
http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/lad/user.php3

--