Re: [linux-audio-dev] sound studio setup

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] sound studio setup
From: Joe Miklojcik (jmik_AT_nbcs.rutgers.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 08 2001 - 20:05:35 EET

Reynald Hoskinson wrote:

> hi there,
> i've been asked to propose some audio equiptment to buy for a little
> sound studio here at the CS dept at the University of British Columbia.
> We're starting from scratch, so I'd like some suggestions on what a core
> setup really needs. The main platform of choice will be linux, so any
> equipment has to be linux-compatible. The studio will focus on audio
> research rather than production. I've been to pbd's (pd's?) studio setup
> listing, and saw some interesting stuff.
> here's what initally comes off the top of my head:

You have invoked the Gear Gods.

> an iCube

Nope. Wacky transducers aren't all their cracked up to be. You probably
want a pile of knobs and sliders; a Doepfer Drehbank. Maybe a Regelwerk.
Maybe both. Put your order in early with Enport if you do.

If you want more "tapping your fingers" kind of control surfaces, get a
bunch of piezo sensors from Radio Shack, tape them to a 2x4, and hook them
up to a Alesis D-4 (you can find one used for around $100 on eBay). If
you'd rather spend real money and have something sexy, get a zendrum.
(www.zendrum.com)

Have you considered joysticks? Go to a Video Game store or website.
They've got some incredible control surfaces for relatively little money.
The Linux Joystick drivers are pretty good.

If you must use a mouse like device to make music, use a touch pad.

> a good touch-sensitive keyboard

I hate those things.

> a hammerfall, or other linux-compatible low latency multichannel sound

The RME9652 is fantastic. Don't forget to get a couple of cheap ADATs
(LX20s are nice) and maybe a digital mixer that can read ADAT signals. A
DAT machine (not ADAT, but DAT) is nice too, but some may prefer minidisc.
Two ADATs are four times better than one; you can make backups.

Some kind of sound card based on the Trident 4D NX chipset makes a good
addition to the Hammerfall. I would reccommend the Hoontech 4D NX, but I
can't find them anymore. A lot of Linux audio software is still not
clueful enough to deal with the relatively weird Hammerfall driver, so
having a more usual piece of audio hardware in the computer is nice. Plus
you get a MIDI pair and joystick port.

> some kind of mixer

I find the distortion characteristics of an overloaded Mackie CR-1604
(classic) mic-pre to be beautiful. If I didn't I'd probably get one of
them relatively inexpensive Yamaha digital mixers.

> speakers, amplifier et. all

I have found my Mackie HR824s to be very versatile. That is, they sound
good a few feet from my ears and a few yards from my ears. This is the
most important choice you will make. Everything happens in the speakers.
Spend time at the store listening. Bring some CDs.

> good studio earphones

I use AKG 240M; I'm used to them and they don't tire my ears for some
reason. Some Sony models are *much* nicer sounding (and correspondingly
more expensive).

> a good microphone

No clue. I can't figure out what I want in a microphone.

You will need a good MIDI interface if you plan to have more than a couple
MIDI devices in the studio. Any of The Mark of the Unicorn MIDI interfaces
supported by ALSA will serve you well.

Another indispensable studio tool: The Csound Book.

Get an audio patchbay and learn to use it and never look back.

If you wind up with an analog mixer or a digital mixer that has not built
in effects, get a good compressor (perhaps an Alesis 3630). Think of it as
a zombie slave you can use to operate the volume controls when things get
out of hand.

Do yourself a favor and worry about the acoustic properties of the room.
If you're going to have microphones in there, you will want some way of
controlling reflections.

Ignore my advice. Make your own mistakes. They are of immesurable value
in electronic/computer music.

----
Joe Miklojcik