Re: [linux-audio-dev] sound studio setup - active vs. passive speakers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] sound studio setup - active vs. passive speakers
From: Reynald Hoskinson (bean_AT_openface.ca)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 06:06:26 EET

Thanks for all the advice, everyone.
if people are getting tired of all this hardware stuff, I can take this
offline . .
After a little investigating I have noticed with chagrin that I am
limited by what brands are available here in Vancouver. As for those who
have asked me about a budget, it is hard for me to say because this
grant money comes in chunks. I will have to buy a few chunks at time.
The key is justifying purchases in terms of research value . .

As for speakers, I was thinking of either the Tannoy Reveals or System
600's.
One main question I have - what do people think of active speakers? Is
it still preferrable to have an external amplifier? What if I plan to
get four speakers? does
that change the powered/non-powered equation?

Also, I eventually have to choose between the Hammerfall and the
digiXX. Is the Hammerfall's latency as low as they claim? Is there a
noticeable difference from the digi? Does it even matter?

cheers,
reynald