Re: [linux-audio-dev] sound studio setup - active vs. passive speakers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] sound studio setup - active vs. passive speakers
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 11:06:36 EET

Reynald Hoskinson wrote:

> Thanks for all the advice, everyone.
> if people are getting tired of all this hardware stuff, I can take this
> offline . .
> After a little investigating I have noticed with chagrin that I am
> limited by what brands are available here in Vancouver. As for those who
> have asked me about a budget, it is hard for me to say because this
> grant money comes in chunks. I will have to buy a few chunks at time.
> The key is justifying purchases in terms of research value . .
>
> As for speakers, I was thinking of either the Tannoy Reveals or System
> 600's.
> One main question I have - what do people think of active speakers? Is
> it still preferrable to have an external amplifier? What if I plan to
> get four speakers? does
> that change the powered/non-powered equation?

IMHO, there is no reason to get passive monitors w/ external amping
anymore.
powered monitors are usually bi-amped, which is quite a luxury and a
hassle to set up when using passive ones.
in active enclosures, the manufacturer can fine-tune the drivers
(and compensate for known problems) with some tweaks to the amps and
crossovers, which can be a dauting task to do by hand with external
amping and x-overs.

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany