Re: [linux-audio-dev] protux, stereo and interleaving

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] protux, stereo and interleaving
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2001 - 19:29:41 EET

>Fair enough - what file format do they use though? It is a public one?
>How do you stream/play the thing, if you have to get through 40mins of
>channel one, to get to the start of channel 2? Can you do it with
>'ordinary' disks? This is the big argument, about streaming formats v
>archive formats. For example, WAVE is streaming, SDIF is archive.

i would have thought that the general context of LAD over the last
year would have answered most of these questions :)

the files are 1 per-channel, just like protools and samplitude.

yes, you can do it on "ordinary disks". ardour can play back at least
24 channels with non-interleaved data. the internal transfer rate of
my current disks should allow up to about 38-30 96kHz/32bit tracks.

the file format is raw: float data, normalized to [-1.0 ... 1.0]. i
may consider adding a WAVE header at some point, though very few
programs will handle WAVE floating point files, so its not clear that
there is a lot of point in doing this.

notice that in ardour, the files themselves are *never* played back
directly. we always use an EDL to read the data, since there may be
edits carried out. the EDL file will eventually migrate to the format
used by the Tascam MDM system, but for now, its a simple text format
file with 3 operations described: insert, replace and delete. this
also means that a single channel is not necessarily represented by a
single file.

--p