Re: [linux-audio-dev] sound studio setup

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] sound studio setup
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2001 - 10:31:20 EET

On Friday 09 February 2001 13:08, Steve Harris wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 03:35:01AM +0100, David Olofson wrote:
> > > The RME9652 is fantastic. Don't forget to get a couple of
> > > cheap ADATs (LX20s are nice) and maybe a digital mixer that can
> > > read ADAT signals. A DAT machine (not ADAT, but DAT) is nice
> > > too, but some may prefer minidisc.
> >
> > Note: MD compresses to some 20% of the raw data size. I have no
> > personal experience of the actual quality, though.
>
> The sound is definatly different, and I wouldn't use minidisc's for
> copying masters, but I actually quite like the subtle expanding
> effect you get from the best codecs, and the format is very
> durable, and convieninet. DAT is just so icky, helican scan, yuk.
>
> > For vocals in not-so-quiet environments, the Samson Qmic is an
> > incredibly affordable alternative. Then there are the Shure
> > classics and "remakes" of course, SM-57, SM-58 etc. A bit on the
> > harch side was my first impression, but you really have to take a
> > mike home and do some serious recording with it before you know.
>
> I would go with a cheap condenser, rather than a dynamic. Something
> like the Rode NT3, not that much more than a SM5x.

I've been looking at those for a while but never seem to get around
to get one...

> Never seens a
> samson qmix, is that samson as in amps?

No, Qmic is just another dynamic microphone mainly for live vocals -
one with pretty good characteristics for a dynamic, especially at
that price. Not for *serious* studio recording, though - it's still
dynamic with some of the usual side effects...

> FWIW you get the proximity effect with all cardiod mics, it's a
> side effect of the way cardiod filtering works. High end mics tend
> to be switchable between omni/bipolar/cardiod.

Unfortunately my "studio" is not yet switchable between noisy and
quiet... ;-)

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`----------------------> http://www.linuxaudiodev.com/maia -'