[linux-audio-dev] RTC Rate on Slower Machines

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] RTC Rate on Slower Machines
From: Vektor Sigma (vektor_AT_DIV8.NET)
Date: Mon Feb 12 2001 - 17:00:47 EET

  Paul,

  I'm using the wonderful RTC to help me sync, but a frequency of 8192hz
seems too much for my older P166MMX: it stutters often and seemed
broken.

  So, in my app I now use an environment variable to let the user pick a
slower resolution. A rate of 1024hz works alright for the older box.
My question is: is there any way I can detect an appropriate setting? I
definitely don't want the user to always have to set this manually, as
most users won't understand it.

  Do you think 1024hz is a more reasonable default, and then require the
user to have at least a decent pentium?

--
Billy Biggs                     bbiggs_AT_dumbterm.net
http://www.billybiggs.com/      wbiggs_AT_uwaterloo.ca