Re: [linux-audio-dev] hammerfall help (with 0.6.0)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] hammerfall help (with 0.6.0)
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2001 - 00:33:23 EET

>ALSA lib conf.c:640:(snd_config_load) :6:5:Unexpected char
>aplay: main:440: audio open error: Invalid argument
>
>Is alsa not seeing the card? I'm not sure at all what this means --

1) you'd be better off on alsa-devel right now.

2) the error is in alsa-lib's parsing of your ~/.asoundrc file.

>everything compiled and installed without trouble. What exactly does the
>"passthru" utility do? Would it be helpful to me here? Any thoughts?

the passthru utility simply turns on the card, but disables
interrupts, and enables hardware monitoring for all channels. as a
result, any incoming audio will be passed through to the output
channels, with no load on the host CPU (though some small hit on the
PCI bus, since the h/w will still copy the data into the DMA buffer).

it won't help you here.

--p