[linux-audio-dev] [OT?] any linux problems using a UDMA100 controller card?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] [OT?] any linux problems using a UDMA100 controller card?
From: Richard Dobson (rwd_AT_cableinet.co.uk)
Date: Thu Feb 22 2001 - 21:03:01 EET

Hello all,

sorry if this is a bit OT, but since you are all here, as it were:

I plan to add a new 30G UDMA100 hard disk to my current PII system, not
least so I can install a ~lot~ more Linux stuff (Quasimodo!). As my
vintage 2-year-old motherboard only supports UDMA33, and there is a
question whether the new drive will even work at all under Win2k (well,
I need that too, OK!) I need to get a controller card. Are there any
known problems with Linux recognising and using such disks using a
controller in this way? I plan to upgrade Linux itself as part of the
general revamp, probably to Mandrake 7.2 as I have it here ready to load
(I am currently on RH6). Is there for example a lowest viable kernel
version I need to have? Or will it be a simple plugin, connect,
partition, install Linux and carry-on as usual experience?

Thanks in advance for all advice,

Richard Dobson

--
Test your DAW with my Soundcard Attrition Page!
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~masrwd (LU: 3rd July 2000)