Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI spec status?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ladspa GUI spec status?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 23:46:00 EET

>yup -- any X program can be embedded in another, this is a feature
>of X11 (reparenting, in X11-speak).
>
>for example, to embed a GTK+ program in another X program, you set the
>'window' element of the toplevel widget's parent.
>
>GTK+:
>gtk_widget_set_parent_window (GtkWidget * widget, GdkWindow * window);

>X11: XReparentWindow (Display *display, Window w, Window parent, x, y);
>(AFAIK, this is how window managers put borders around windows, and
>swallow apps in docks and so forth). This is probably what needs to be
>done here, as the swallowed app can't always be modified to reparent
>itself.
>
>(most importantly, you don't need object models or embedding
>environments or any other newfangled cruft to get the job done ;)

Yes, but as has been mentioned here in the last couple of days, and
was discussed a great deal in the spring of 2000, this is meaningless
if the widget that has its window reparented is created using a
toolkit using its own event loop. there is no clean way to embed
widgets from one toolkit in a program designed around another,
although I did post a link here recently to some work done with Qt
designed to allow just that with GTK+. OTOH, it definitely ranks in
the "hack-of-all-hacks" category, and it was far from clear to me that
it was actually a desirable solution.

--p