Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME HammerFall pbm

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RME HammerFall pbm
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2001 - 23:48:38 EET

>I'm having a problem configuring my digi 9636 under the latest Mandrake
>Cooker.
>I downloaded the 5.10b driver base, compiled it and when I try to load the
>rme driver /var/log/message complains twice about a memory allocation error.
>I checked the code and it seems to try allocating 1.7Mbytes. Is this the
>normal behaviour? I tried to lower the requested memory until the kernel
>malloc is ok, and I get to point where I can load the driver with really
>less memory but of course it is unusable.
>
>Is there anything I can do?

as has been discussed on alsa-devel several times over the last year,
you need to ensure that the snd-rme9652_mem module is loaded *early*
in the boot sequence.

its an absolute h/w requirement that this card needs 1.7MB of
physically contiguous RAM to work. the way the Linux VM system works,
its very hard to get that kind of memory on many systems (with < 512MB
of RAM) once fsck and other startup programs have executed.

i modified my rc files to ensure that this happened.

the only other solutions involve even uglier kernel hacks. FWIW,
Windows and the MacOS both suffer from the same problem.

--p