Re: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2001 - 23:28:25 EET

I will look at what samplitude does tonight in more detail. I do not
think it makes a seperate wave file for each recording, but I think you
can do this if you want. I think it appends the new segments. But, you
do have the option to make a new file. When you bring up the recording
window, it asks for an HDR filename. Each time you record new material,
that file can stay the same, and it appends to that file. Or, if you
want, you can create a new file. If you wanted to insert sound, then you
would break the object apart and insert the a new object between them in
the track view, which does not affect the recording material. So as you
have said, the peak file never has to change if all you do is create
objects and move them around. Now I am not saying that the way samplitude
does it is the best way, but the performance is excellent in windows
terms.

In your example of the FX, I am not sure how easy it would be to do what
you have described, and I am not even sure about sample editing, I never
have needed it so I have never used it. Maybe in Sequia, SEK'Ds new tool
has overlay ability, I will have to look at that too. Right now if two
samples overlap, I think the right one will play where they overlap, and
for a mixed sound they have to be on two tracks. Since the tool provides
an unlimited number of tracks, I just use more tracks for multiple
instruments and such, even ambient effects. Its a question of semantics
at this point :)

I'll be honest in that I like the object system better in my work. I
label my objects and even color code them when I have alot of stuff. Its
probably more of a preference as I have used Samplitude for about 8
years. I even contacted them and said, hey, make this for Linux and get
rid of the windows crap :) They said "We have no plans at this time, but
we will make a press release if we do so in the future" :(

What I need to do is try out protools so I can see other examples of an
HDR system. I did not like what was in Cakewalk, matter of fact, I don't
like cakewalk either. When the tool crashes consistently when editing
note data, that scares me. Its not like some major processing goes into
moving my little pink line over about a 1/4 of a note :)

FWIW
Rick

> However, in thinking about the "objects" (Samplitude) / "regions"
> (ProTools) model, I can see how they get this too work: you compute
> the peak data for each object/region, and it *never* changes because
> the object/region is atomic (you can't subdivide it without creating a
> new object/region). Hmm. There are other reasons for moving toward
> this model, but this might be the killer.
>
> --p

| T a l i t y | +------+ |
| Richard Burnett | +-+ | |
| Senior Design Engineer +---+ +----+ |