Re: [linux-audio-dev] DJ Mixing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] DJ Mixing
From: Paul Winkler (slinkp_AT_bestweb.net)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 05:14:37 EET

"Joe T." wrote:
> Id like to upgrade with two new soundcards and
> possibly a mixer.
> Has anyone done this? Is it possible? And if so, what
> are recommendations on hardware to buy and software to
> use?

Why do you want 2 soundcards? Do you want to record 4 channels at
once, or send out 4 channels at once, or both?

I'm guessing you want to use your computer with a DJ mixer so you can
cue stuff up in your headphones while playing through another set of
outputs? You're better off with a 4-channel soundcard. ALSA supports
at least one fairly inexpensive 4-output card: the M-audio Delta 44
which can be had for under $300 US and the sound quality will surpass
any pair of stereo cards you can get for that price.

There are also some cards on which the line in can double as an
"extra" line out, normally for surround sound purposes. I think the
Trident 4D-wave cards do this. This might be adequate for you. I don't
know how well this works, you might find out more at the alsa mailing
list archives, try here: http://www.alsa-project.org

As for software, I'm not sure what your needs are, but some you might
check out are GDAM and Oolaboola. Maybe TerminatorX if you want to get
crazy. Find them all from http://sound.condorow.net

--
slinkP arts:   music, sound, illustration, design, etc.