Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's

Subject: Re: Re[2]: [linux-audio-dev] peakfiles and EDL's
From: rob (rob_AT_kaybee.org)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2001 - 20:32:59 EET

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Richard C. Burnett wrote:
> I agree with robby in not understanding the benefit of computing min
> values, The top bottom is probably going to be pretty symetric for all
> purposes, so you could just mirror it.

        for low zoom values (looking at alot of data in a single window),
the data is mostly symmetrical (1pixel = 1024 frames, no DC offset),
however looking at values around 1:64 it won't be generally (or even
mostly). If i'm looking at 16bit PCM (+/- 32768) frame which has the
following values 59 134 1515 23135 ... 24, where all values represented by
the ... are between the two adjacent values, your represented signal won't
be symmetrical about 0 even if it again has no DC offset.
        This is pretty much the way a person using a tool like soundforge
etc expects the wave data display to act, and i don't see much motivation
to change that.
        Perhaps the best way to convince yourself of this is to implement
a small viewing program, when i did that, this method is pretty much the
only way i found of making it look like i thought it should.

                        rob

----
Rob Melby
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4255a
Internet: rob_AT_kaybee.org, gt4255a_AT_prism.gatech.edu