Re: [linux-audio-dev] A good hand held digital recorder

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] A good hand held digital recorder
From: rob (rob_AT_kaybee.org)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 14:29:47 EET

On Sat, 6 Jan 2001, David Olofson wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 December 2000 11:20, Josh Green wrote:
> > I'm looking for a good portable digital recorder for recording
> > sounds and then transferring them to computer via something like
> > USB. Flash memory would be nice, but suggestions of other recorders
> > is okay. Needs to support Linux or have open standards for writing
> > of driver, if you're not sure, please tell me anyways. Would like
> > it to record raw audio data at 48+ khz, the higher the better. Any
> > suggestions?

hey all,
        i dunno how much money or time you want to put into it, but with
off the shelf components (pc104 mb, camcorder battaries, palm, etc) you
could have a small computer which would fit in a shoulder bag, run linux,
and you could slap in something like an 40 gig drive if you really felt
the need. battery life would be much better than a laptop (upwards of 5
hours depending on how many batteries you want to carry). the whole thing
could be control-able via serial with a palm or whatever. (the thing that
makes this better than a labtop in my opinion is the form factor).
        i dunno what audio IO solutions are out there for pc104, but i'm
sure something could be found (at worse resorting to USB solutions easily
available).
                                regards,
                                  rob

----
Rob Melby
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4255a
Internet: rob_AT_kaybee.org, gt4255a_AT_prism.gatech.edu