Re: [linux-audio-dev] Measured latency

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Measured latency
From: Sukandar Kartadinata (sk_AT_glui.de)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 13:57:13 EET

>> Thats about right. The A-D and D-A converters probably use sigma-delta
>> technology so that would add about 30-60 samples delay at each
>> conversion
>> stage. Thats a total of 60-120 samples delay just in the converter.
>>

>This is very good to know - I had no idea that the latency for the converters
>could be so high. Do you have any good sources for information about the
>latency of converters?

I don't know if someone has compiled a table, but the datasheets usually
have that information. E.g. a typical Crystal CS4225 has an input delay of
10 and an output delay of 12 samples. A higher quality ADC like the CS5396
has an input delay of 34 samples.
However, I always thought that delay is caused by the oversampled digital
decimation filter, rather than the particular type of conversion
(sigma-delta, flash, etc.) used.

Sukandar

sukandar kartadinata - www.glui.de - technology for musicians & artists