[linux-audio-dev] ...saving plugin state

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] ...saving plugin state
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 02:58:40 EET

[replied to sender by mistake]

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 01:23:37PM -0500, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
>
> > right, and even in ardour, it will soon be possible to use stereo
> > plugins "correctly". you need to think of a set of plugins' state as
> > network, not a chain.
> >
> > <plugin name="Really neat plugin v1.3">
> > <port name="length" value="13.456">
> > <port name="depth" value="13.456">
> > <port name="breadth" value="13.456">
> > </plugin>
>
> Much better. Much more concise.

I'd be a bit wary about using ladspa port names, then tend to be a bit
long, and subject to change (or maybe thats just me ;) They do have a
guaranteed order though, so you could get away with

<plugin id="1234" label="plugin-a">
  <port value="1"/>
  <port value="1.1"/>
  <port value="2.1"/>
</plugin>

if you didn't care too much about humans understanding it

> > its not clear to me whether you need to save both sides of a
> > connection (e.g. plugA:foo -> plugB:bar as well as plugB:bar ->
plugA:foo).

> I think that since the connection is one way, you would only need to
save
> one side. The connection is one way right?

Yes, but it might be better in a seperate element:

<connections>
  <wire from="plugin-a:1" to="plugin-b:2"/>
  <wire from="plugin-a:2" to="plugin-b:1"/>
</connections>

I don't think the connections don't really belong to any particular
plugin.

> Each plugin is given a unique number. It's handed down by the LADSPA
> cabal, I think.

Yup. But you need to label the plugins too, so you know which amp you're
talking about, if you have more than one.

- Steve