Re: [linux-audio-dev] ...saving plugin state

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ...saving plugin state
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 17:36:29 EET

Hmmm, what guarantees port order? I think that if the port were reordered
there is more of a chance of mismatch then through port
names. Additionally, if more things are added, the old settings would be
retained regardless of order and just the newer values set to defaults.

My two cents anyways :)

Rick

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Steve Harris wrote:

> [replied to sender by mistake]
>
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 01:23:37PM -0500, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Paul Barton-Davis wrote:
> >
> > > right, and even in ardour, it will soon be possible to use stereo
> > > plugins "correctly". you need to think of a set of plugins' state as
> > > network, not a chain.
> > >
> > > <plugin name="Really neat plugin v1.3">
> > > <port name="length" value="13.456">
> > > <port name="depth" value="13.456">
> > > <port name="breadth" value="13.456">
> > > </plugin>
> >
> > Much better. Much more concise.
>
> I'd be a bit wary about using ladspa port names, then tend to be a bit
> long, and subject to change (or maybe thats just me ;) They do have a
> guaranteed order though, so you could get away with
>
> <plugin id="1234" label="plugin-a">
> <port value="1"/>
> <port value="1.1"/>
> <port value="2.1"/>
> </plugin>
>
> if you didn't care too much about humans understanding it
>
> > > its not clear to me whether you need to save both sides of a
> > > connection (e.g. plugA:foo -> plugB:bar as well as plugB:bar ->
> plugA:foo).
> >
> > I think that since the connection is one way, you would only need to
> save
> > one side. The connection is one way right?
>
> Yes, but it might be better in a seperate element:
>
> <connections>
> <wire from="plugin-a:1" to="plugin-b:2"/>
> <wire from="plugin-a:2" to="plugin-b:1"/>
> </connections>
>
> I don't think the connections don't really belong to any particular
> plugin.
>
> > Each plugin is given a unique number. It's handed down by the LADSPA
> > cabal, I think.
>
> Yup. But you need to label the plugins too, so you know which amp you're
> talking about, if you have more than one.
>
> - Steve

| T a l i t y | +------+ |
| Richard Burnett | +-+ | |
| Senior Design Engineer +---+ +----+ |