[linux-audio-dev] Showing off LAD at the Linuxtag 2001?

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Showing off LAD at the Linuxtag 2001?
From: Frank Neumann (franky_AT_viona.de)
Date: Sat Jan 20 2001 - 18:28:59 EET

Hi,
I have been mentioning this a few months ago, and I'm making some additions
and plans here because things are slowly approaching -

as some of you might now, the german "LinuxTag" is a rather famous Linux
exhibition (this year for the 8th time, IIRC) which started out as a university
project in Kaiserslautern and has by now grown so much that it doesn't take
place in a university anymore, but instead in the "Messezentrum Stuttgart",
from July 5th to 8th this year (it has been there last year as well).

The organizers have always since the start of the LinuxTag put a lot of
work into making it a nice merger of commercial and free stuff - that's
also what their slogan "where .com meets .org" says. They are offering
booth space both for companies (which have to pay $$) as well as a
considerable amount of free booth space for free software projects, like
Debian, KDE, PHP, PovRay, FreeBSD etc (I think last year Arts was there
as well..?)

In October of last year I had the idea that it might be a great chance for
the LAD people to be able to show off their abilities and software at the next
LinuxTag, and this idea is still in my head. I happen to know the organizer
of the free software booths personally, and I think we might be able to get
a booth there.

What could we do? Well, my idea is to have some software+hardware there to
show that it's possible (and maybe even much better than under MS-OS) to do
music or sound projects under Linux. This would include such things as:

- MIDI sequencing
- Harddisk recording
- CD mastering
- Music typesetting
- and whatever else you can think of.

_If_ we get enough people together to man the booth for 4 days, I would
start getting in contact with Martin Schulze (the organizer) soon as they
have already begun collecting calls for papers now, which means the booth
allocation ralley is about to begin.

What would be REALLY nice to have is if some of the - I'd say - more important
people from this list, like e.g. Paul Barton-Davis or Dave Philips could be
at the LinuxTag. Of course this would require some kind of sponsoring from
a company, but that shouldn't be impossible to do - last year a german
company, ID-Pro, sponsored the free Debian CDs we had given out there (that
was a couple thousand of Deutschmarks).

Ok, so my current questions are mostly these:
- Are there enough people interested in such a LAD booth so we could populate
  it for 4 days?
- Will the software we want to show be at a usable state at that time (I know
  this question is almost impossible to answer :-)
- Will there be sponsors who could pay for some "prominent" people who have
  to travel a bit?
- What software should actually be demonstrated (think in terms of "ohh-ahhh"
  effects :-)
- Is anyone interested in holding a 60-minute talk on some audio-centric
  theme? Language could be german or english.

If all of this works out fine, I think this would be a great opportunity to
raise a lot of interest in MIDI&Sound under Linux. Last year I was at the
Debian booth, and the atmosphere as well as the personal contacts we had
were really great.

Should we succeed in putting this together, I'll already offer at this time
that I will bring a (still to be purchased) reasonable fast/new PC with
large monitor, lots of HD space, my trusty Roland D-50 synthesizer, an
Akai sampler and maybe some more MIDI/sound hardware with me. Fortunately
I live only 70km from Stuttgart, so that's a rather short travel for me.

Oh, and before I forget: As usual there is no entrance fee to the LinuxTag.
It has, and hopefully will always be, a free show. http://www.linuxtag.de/

Waiting for feedback,
Frank