Re: [linux-audio-dev] low-latency scheduling patch for 2.4.0

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] low-latency scheduling patch for 2.4.0
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 03:49:05 EET

>Let me just point out that Victor has his own commercial axe to grind in
>his continual bad-mouthing of IRIX, the internals of which he knows
>nothing about.

1) do you actually disagree with victor ?

2) victor is not the only person who has expressed this opinion. the
   most prolific irix critic seems to be larry mcvoy, who certainly
   claims to know quite a bit about the internals.

this discussion has the hallmarks of turning into a personal
bash-fest, which is really pointless. what is *not* pointless is a
considered discussion about the merits of the IRIX "RT" approach over
possible approaches that Linux might take which are dissimilar to the
IRIX one. on the other hand, as Victor said, a large part of that
discussion ultimately comes down to a design style rather than hard
factual or logical reasoning.

Paul Davis <pbd_AT_op.net> Bala Cynwyd, PA, USA
Linux Audio Systems 610-667-4807
hybrid rather than pure; compromising rather than clean;
distorted rather than straightforward; ambiguous rather than
articulated; both-and rather than either-or; the difficult
unity of inclusion rather than the easy unity of exclusion. Robert Venturi