Re: [linux-audio-dev] Newbie: searching a good library for audio + midi

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Newbie: searching a good library for audio + midi
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 03:55:53 EET

>> I am searching a API that lets me make music with audio samples and
>> midi. I want to add some effects to it and mix + loop it.

I don't believe that any such thing exists for Linux.

KeyKit is the best program if you are interested in algorithmic MIDI
composition, but it has absolutely no audio component whatsoever. For
MIDI work, however, assuming you can handle its rather crude GUI, its
capabilities exceed that of anything except perhaps SuperCollider.

Jazz++ does MIDI and audio, but its definitely not a programming
environment of any sort, and to be honest, I have found it buggy and
crash prone, and I personally find its user interface very
unintuitive.

At some point in the next few months, Ardour will do MIDI as well as
audio; right now, it can be used for audio arranging and looping, but
the user interface is currently very weak in the areas that would make
this easy to do if you are thinking in musical terms.

Thats my take on the current situation.

--p