[linux-audio-dev] Newbie: searching a good library for audio + midi

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Newbie: searching a good library for audio + midi
From: Thomas Guettler (guettli_AT_interface-business.de)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 15:13:28 EET

Hi all.

I am searching a API that lets me make music with audio samples and
midi. I want to add some effects to it and mix + loop it.

I worked with Cubase and some Linux GUI-based tools, but I think I can
express myself better with writing a programm that makes music.

I played a little with CSound, it is cool for makeing sound samples,
but it is hard to arrange a song with it.

I looked at the ALSA-Sequences API. But it is not good documented (at
least it wasn't some month ago).

Ecasound is goog for hard disk recording. But I think it is not
possible to loop samples.

I played with a MIDI-Realtime perlmodule, too. This was fun, but it is
perl which means that the code gets very ugly if you use a lot of lists
of references of lists. And you can't add audio.

Has some a tipp what library I shold look at?

--
Thomas Guettler
Office: <guettli_AT_interface-business.de> www.interface-business.de