Re: [linux-audio-dev] Newbie: searching a good library for audio + midi

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Newbie: searching a good library for audio + midi
From: Stefan Westerfeld (stefan_AT_space.twc.de)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 02:44:13 EET

   Hi!

On Sun, Jan 21, 2001 at 02:13:28PM +0100, Thomas Guettler wrote:
> I am searching a API that lets me make music with audio samples and
> midi. I want to add some effects to it and mix + loop it.
>
> Has some a tipp what library I shold look at?

I think you might want to have a look at aRts - there is a lot you can do
with the small modules that already ship with a recent aRts (i.e. version
from CVS), and if that's not enough, add an own module. It can do modular
synthesis reasonable well, and play samples. There are network transparent
midi interfaces. Due to the aRts/MCOP communication approach, you might
even be able to easily bind new languages (like perl) to it, if you like.
Normally you will use C++.

Have a look at

  http://space.twc.de/~stefan/kde/arts-mcop-doc/
  http://www.arts-project.org

Quickstart to get this is to install a KDE2.1 beta version and play around
with artsbuilder.

   Cu... Stefan

--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan_AT_space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany