Re: [linux-audio-dev] rules on OSS drivers providing /dev/audio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] rules on OSS drivers providing /dev/audio
From: Paul Barton-Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 04:32:04 EET

Iain Sandoe writes:

>It is not clear to me from the guide whether:
>
>(a) I *must* supply /dev/audio (at whatever rates/sizes the hardware
>supports - i.e. a clone of /dev/dsp) ?

No. Very few linux application use /dev/audio anyway and ...

>(b) If the hardware cannot do 8 bit, ulaw, 8K - I should leave /dev/audio
>out?

Yes, sort of by definition. My understanding of /dev/audio is that its
just /dev/dsp with a different set of defaults (i.e. 8 bit, ulaw, 8kHz).
You can open /dev/audio and reset the h/w parameters if you want,
which then makes it existence as a separate inode fairly pointless.

>(c) I'm obliged to emulate 8 bit, ulaw, 8K whether I like it or not?

Absolutely not. The OSS programmers reference makes it abundantly
clear that the application is at fault if it expects to be able to ask
for these settings and get them unconditionally. It goes further, and
makes it clear (to me, at least) that you may *never* be able to get
the settings requested, even if they make perfect sense.

--p