Re: [linux-audio-dev] present state of affairs with streaming fra meworks

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] present state of affairs with streaming fra meworks
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 04:59:10 EEST

Glad to see much agreement on my description of GStreamer. I'm always
wary of describing someone else's project ;)

>I suspect the best way to support LAAGA's callback api is to write a
>gstLAAGAbin which contains the gstreamer graph inside it and exposes the
>bin's external pads as LAAGA ports. The normal way of supporting this sort
>of thing in GStreamer would be to write a LAAGAsrc and LAAGAsink but I'm not
>sure this would fit with the callback model.

Exactly. This is the crux of the matter when it comes to providing
LAAGA support. But think of it this way: if you wanted to support TDM,
VST, MAS, RTAS, ASIO, DirectX, OS X CoreAudio, BeOS MediaKit and other
plugin/driver/media systems, you'd have to provide the same kind of
callback-based API, so view it as an investment to be amortized over
time. Or not, hopefully :)

Note that I have plans to either twist Abramo's arm (;) or do the work
myself associated with making alsa-lib's "aserver" into a LAAGA
client. That will facilitate running regular ALSA-using apps through
the LAAGA system, just not with sample synchronization.

--p