Re: [linux-audio-dev] present state of affairs with streaming fra meworks

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] present state of affairs with streaming fra meworks
From: Simon Per Soren Kagedal (simon_AT_cs.uoregon.edu)
Date: Mon Jul 02 2001 - 10:24:37 EEST

On Sun, Jul 01, 2001 at 09:59:58PM +0200, Steve Baker wrote:
> I suspect the best way to support LAAGA's callback api is to write a
> gstLAAGAbin which contains the gstreamer graph inside it and exposes the
> bin's external pads as LAAGA ports. The normal way of supporting this sort
> of thing in GStreamer would be to write a LAAGAsrc and LAAGAsink but I'm not
> sure this would fit with the callback model.

I was thinking something like the following:

- for each LAAGA input port we create a GStreamer LAAGAsrc that just
does laaga_port_get_buffer, wraps it in a GstBuffer and sends it on
- for each LAAGA output port we create a GStreamer LAAGAsink that also
just does laaga_port_get_buffer and copies the GstBuffer it gets to
the LAAGA buffer.

These elements and the rest of the network are put in a GstBin. On
every LAAGA "process", we tell every LAAGAsrc/LAAGAsink what the "n"
is and call gst_bin_iterate once.

This should work for compliant plugins, I think? (compliant = plugins
that do exactly one pull from each src on each iteration, and pushes
just as many frames to every sink)

(some other solution would of course be required if you want to output
arbitrary GStreamer data to LAAGA, but that's not the case I'm
discussing.)

Bye,
Simon.