Re: [linux-audio-dev] Another Annoying "How Do I Get Started" Question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Another Annoying "How Do I Get Started" Question
From: Greg Berchin (76145.2455_AT_compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 01:53:35 EEST

reine_AT_music-corner.org wrote:

>Here are three functions that i use in my
>little mixbas program.

Thank you. I notice that you simply "open" /dev/dsp as write-only.
Farther down I see that you used "ioctl" -- I've never seen that function
before. What does it do? THIS is the kind of information that I am
seeking. How do I access all of the channels of my Hoontech DSP24 II? To
what devices are they mapped under Linux? How do I vector an interrupt to
call my routines when a new set of samples comes in, every 1/44100 or
1/48000 or 1/96000 second? Etc.

Is there a resource available somewhere that contains this information?
Can someone recommend a book? (I'm from the old school. I like books with
pages that I can scribble notes on and mark with sticky pads.)

Many thanks,
Greg Berchin