[linux-audio-dev] Another Annoying "How Do I Get Started" Question

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Another Annoying "How Do I Get Started" Question
From: Greg Berchin (76145.2455_AT_compuserve.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 21:40:16 EEST

Hi, folks;

I've been subscribed for a few weeks, sitting on the sidelines hoping that
I would come up to speed with time, but I find that it's not happening. I
just recently set up my first Linux system, (finally) installed the ALSA
drivers, and seem to have everything up and running. (Some UNIX experience
from long, long ago helped a lot.) But all of this is preliminary, and the
knowledge that I've acquired still hasn't prepared me for what I am
ultimately trying to do: incorporate my own realtime audio applications
into the PC.

Writing the applications is the easy part for me; I have a Master's degree
in electrical engineering and have been writing DSP-based audio
applications in assembly and C for nearly a decade. So I know what I'm
doing, algorithmically speaking. But the part I'm having trouble with is
the specifics of how to retrieve the raw audio samples from the sound card
and how to send the processed audio samples to the sound card. I am not
familiar enough with how a Linux PC operates to even know where to look. I
see references to "threaded applications" and "callback routines"; I have
to admit that I don't know what they mean. I have read every FAQ and HOWTO
that I could find, but they either don't contain the information that I
seek or I don't understand them if they do.

Is there a resource somewhere that describes this process to someone who is
learning from the ground up? As I said, I have no trouble with the
processing routines; it's the I/O that's giving me fits.

Many thanks,
Greg Berchin