Re: [linux-audio-dev] Laaga multiple sample rates (Re: LAAGA: updates, laaga-0.2.0 tarball available)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Laaga multiple sample rates (Re: LAAGA: updates, laaga-0.2.0 tarball available)
From: Jarno Seppanen (jams_AT_cs.tut.fi)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 09:59:57 EEST

Steve Harris <S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> I don't think this is a good idea myself:
>
> 1) there are dozens of up/downsampling techniques with different
> tradeoffs, so picking the right one automatically is not really
> possible (unlike mixing).

Hi!

I'm sorry I didn't say it aloud, but I really meant that the resampler would
be just another client. I agree that embedding automatic resampling logic to
the engine is not wise.

Now when the resampler is just another client, you can choose which technique
to use.

> 2) its too complicated

How come? As I already said, it's basically as complicated as making a dozen
audio type strings called "audio_AT_44100 Hz" etc. Doing it right is just moving
the "44100 Hz" part from the string into a variable.

Another use case: remember LADSPA? Remember how it has an audio signal rate
and a control signal rate, where the control rate is the audio rate divided by
an integer? Now writing a laaga client to do ladspa hosting requires that the
audio input/output ports have a different sample rate from the control
input/output ports, no?

--
-Jarno