Re: [linux-audio-dev] Help: native ALSA 0.9b5 apps refuse to work, OSS apps work

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Help: native ALSA 0.9b5 apps refuse to work, OSS apps work
From: Matthias Weiss (matthias.we_AT_gmx.at)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 09:13:31 EEST

> Applications using OSS work ok. (xmms , mpg123 etc), but native ALSA apps

Well, no surprise, they use ioctl's on /dev/dsp.

> refuse to work.
>
> for example running aplay I get:
>
> [benno_AT_smp benno]$ aplay /tmp/test.wav
> ALSA lib pcm.c:1048:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
> aplay: main:455: audio open error: No such file or directory
>
> similarly:
>
> [benno_AT_smp benno]$ alsamixer
> ALSA lib control.c:525:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default
>
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
> directory
>

> Is this because I have no /etc/asound.conf file ?

I'm not an alsa hacker but at least I can say, that after I built myself a
asound.conf things worked better. To do so use the command

alsactl store

On my debian system I moved the resulting asound.conf to /etc/alsa/0.9 .
If you want to know the name that alsa gave your card look at
/proc/asound/cards

In my case it is card0.

If I remember right you can set the name of your card in modules.conf with a

option id=mycardname

entry though I'm not sure if the syntax is right.

When I use ardour I use

ardour -d card0

aplay and arecord have similar switches to determine the card name.

Further check if there is a link from /dev/snd to /proc/asound/dev .

Hope that helped.

Matthias

http://www.gmx.net

GMX Tipp: