Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: laptop audio performance chart ... any realworld tests ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: laptop audio performance chart ... any realworld tests ?
From: Christopher Lee (clee_AT_gnwy100.wuh.wustl.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 10 2001 - 14:59:20 EEST

I'm experimenting with latencytest on a Dell Inspiron 3800, which uses the
Maestro 3i PCI for sound (PIII 700Mhz, 256MHz SDRAM, 100Mhz FSB, udma IDE
drive, ATI Mobility, XFree4.1). Under linux 2.4.5 with the low-latency
patch and the ext3 patch applied, the best result so far is 8 ms maximum
latency. (I mounted the filesystem as ext2 before doing the test.)
Unfortunately, I get tons of overuns at 3x256. I'll see about finding a
place to post the results.

  The OSS maestro3 driver is still marked EXPERIMENTAL, so it's possible
(likely?) that the driver is the limiting factor. (In an earlier thread,
the the problem I was having with using non-blocking writes was with a
maestro driver.)

Has latencytest been adapted to use alsa natively?

-chris