Re: [linux-audio-dev] Help: native ALSA 0.9b5 apps refuse to work, OSS apps work

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Help: native ALSA 0.9b5 apps refuse to work, OSS apps work
From: Benno Senoner (sbenno_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 18:58:07 EEST

So what do you suggest Paul ?

Is my problem normal ?
(I can't even run alsactl store, while apps in OSS emulation mode work
perfectly)

I did nothing special except , compiling the latest (0.9b5() alsa-driver,
alsa-lib and alsa-utils) and installed them.

0.5 versions worked without any problems but now the 0.9 version refuses to
work.

I haven't touched ALSA since 0.5.x (I ran a few CVS versions a few months
ago), so I'm not familiar with the structure of the latest ALSA package.

Is the .asoundrc mandatory for alsa apps functioning ?
If yes , why does the README not mention how to set it up ?

The other option is that I'm missing something obvious or that my box is
screwed up. (I don't think that I screwed up anything since all other stuff
works perfectly)

Wasn't there something like alsaconf sometime ago ?

We need something that eases the installation process, it's definitively way
to hard to get it working.

thanks,
Benno.