Re: [linux-audio-dev] Laaga multiple sample rates (Re: LAAGA: updates, laaga-0.2.0 tarball available)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Laaga multiple sample rates (Re: LAAGA: updates, laaga-0.2.0 tarball available)
From: Jarno Seppanen (jams_AT_cs.tut.fi)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 19:07:52 EEST

Steve Harris <S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> No. LADSPA control signals are per fragment not per n samples.

You're right. But don't you see that this means that the audio sample rate is
different from the control sample rate? For every process cycle, there will
be one new control sample and N new audio samples (N is the fragment length),
implying that the audio rate is N times the control rate.

Yesterday I was trying to make a LADSPA host for LAAGA, and the very lack of
per-port sample rates made me have to implement some (inferior) sort of a
downsampler and an upsampler right in the host, which will produce surprising
results.

> In any case, in a multi sample rate system the sample rate of one input
> won't be an integer ration to the other input, as they will most likly be
> from different cards with different clocks, do any cards support
> multiple sample rates with a common clock?

You're right, having multiple sound cards is an issue of its own, and I
wouldn't recommend even thinking about that.

--
-Jarno