Re: [linux-audio-dev] Another Annoying "How Do I Get Started" Question

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Another Annoying "How Do I Get Started" Question
From: Karl MacMillan (karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 11 2001 - 19:22:52 EEST

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001, Steve Harris wrote:

> Also, although modern x86 chips have SIMD instructions, gcc won't generate
> them (maybe in 3.0, I haven't checked), and the ones useful for audio
> can't even be inlined with asm() yet (ditto).

This is not completely true - even though the default gcc does not support
SIMD completely, there are patches for gcc available on www.altivec.org
that allow you to use altivec (SIMD on the G4). There is a good chance
that altivec will continue to be supported in some way or another with gcc
thanks to Apple's involvement (gcc is the compiler that comes with Mac OS
X developer package).

Karl

> That said, a modern GP chip is a very cheap versatile device, and easily
> capable of realtime audio work.
>
> - Steve

| Karl W. MacMillan |
| Computer Music Department |
| Peabody Institute of the Johns Hopkins University |
| karlmac_AT_peabody.jhu.edu |
| mambo.peabody.jhu.edu/~karlmac |