Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA, Muse, alsa-seq, emu10k ...

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA, Muse, alsa-seq, emu10k ...
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Sat Jul 14 2001 - 13:50:53 EEST

Mark Constable wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jul 2001 01:25, you wrote:
>
> > Please note that the ALSA emu10k1 driver still cannot handle large
> > soundfonts. It's is purely due to the hardware limit - 32MB of PTB.
>
> I like to do some work in this area... loading large
> soundfonts. I'm aware there used to be a 32mb limit
> in using shared ram but under windows these days that
> limit is now half installed ram. I sell these boxes
> with a 1gb of ram and we've had 100mbs of soundfonts
> loaded (under windows) at once... spectacular, pity
> the hardware was not a little cleaner otherwise it'd
> be usable in commercial productions.
>
> > I'd like to fix this problem but it's still pending for long time.
>
> Would "porting" just sfxload to ALSA be of any use ?

it already has been.

> Is anyone else out there fully focussed on soundfonts ?

there is takashi iwai, who has ported sfxload, and josh green, who
wrote the smurf soundfont editor.
i met josh at the linuxtag a few days ago, and he is currently
traveling europe for the next couple of weeks, so he may be off the
net for a while...

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
home://Kurfürstenstr.49.45138.Essen.Germany