Re: [linux-audio-dev] prof multitrack studio

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] prof multitrack studio
From: Linium (intent_AT_club-internet.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 14:03:45 EEST

Le Thu, 19 Jul 2001, vous avez écrit :
> > delire wrote:
> >
> > i use pd [Pure Data] alot but miss the extensive [64 track] mutitracking / wave editing facility of cool edit pro [the only reason i maintain a windows partition at all. is there any design to make
> > a professional scale multitrack studio / wave editor in the future?
> >
> > very pleased this list exist btw ; )
> >
> > de|
> >
> Sure, there is. It's named 'ardour' and is developped by Paul Davis.
>
> Check http://sourceforge.net/projects/ardour/
>
> fd

Hello,

I am in the same situation, using PD and a windows multitrack/editor.

I had the opporunity to test Wavelab3.0 and Samplitude
which are 2 multitracks editor.
Samplitude is far more complete, it is the same than Wavelab plus a
traditionnal mixer (insert/aux). I have not yet tryed CoolEdit Pro
but I think it belongs more or less to the same category.

For me this kind of softwares is a real gift for anyone working with audio.
A track contains "clips", each of them has vector envelopes for
volume/pan/whatever parameter automatable.
The volume enveloppe is generally the one you use the most but you can choose
what appears in superposition of the wave data. With just one mouse click you
manage a fade-in or lower the volume of a given clip. It is very visual since
you constantly see the setting through the enveloppes for each clip. This and
the fact that you have plenty of tracks, hey it is a multitrack editor, give you
what could be a Gimp for audio. A montage tool with effects. (do you see my
subliminal exhortation toward Glame people ;)

One of the features I like the most on Samplitude and Wavelab is the fact that
each clip composing a track has a menu allowing to insert plugins
just for the clip. The plugins are then turned on/off along the playing, it
saves some cpu power.

This visual clip oriented editing is a real improvement and let you do
increadible things very fast.

Paul Davis presented Ardour as an equivalant of the Mackie hardware recorder
which complement their digital mixing desk.
It seems to me that Ardour is nice for this task but what kind of editing does
it offer ?
Has ardour per clip plugins and vector automation ? Could it be used by
people more on the post-production/ creative montage side of things ?

Linium