Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugins etc

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugins etc
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 19:11:33 EEST

www.ladspa.org has a list of plugin libraries.

> secondly - windoze offers a range of environments / tools for the production
> of filters / plugins. what is the best solution to this end under linux?

Well, straight c(++) seems to be the environment of choice (hey, were all
unix hackers here), but GDAM can produce LADSPA plugins from a graphical
environment, though I've never tried it.
See http://www.ffem.org/gdam/writingladspaplugins.html

I prefer to write my source as XML, which mostly contains the DSP code,
the housekeeping type stuff is generated from the rest of the XML. YMMV

> thirdly - i have enjoyed a good range of GUI acoustic modelling /
> reverberation chambers / acoustic prediction tools under windoze, often in
> the form of directx or vst plugins. is there anything like this for linux?

Kindof, BruteFIR can do realtime convolution (though you will need to get
the impulses from somewhere), but you can't yet connect to it via LADSPA
(it runs as a server). This isn't trivial, as the is the potential for
blocking when you try to send/receive data from the server.
http://www.ludd.luth.se/~torger/brutefir.html

There are of course normal reverb plugins, atleast one finished, one
mostly finished.

- Steve