Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugins etc

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] plugins etc
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 19:46:25 EEST

steve answered most of this already, but i just wanted to add:

>i have somehow managed to be unaware of ardour in the time i have been

good thing. ardour is under development. its not a tool suitable for
most people's usage. i doubt if more than 10% of the people on the
list could even get it compiled without quite a bit of handholding.

>producing audio under linux. it's likely therefore that i am also unaware of
>a current list of plugins for linux. does anyone have a reliable url?

keep in mind that there really isn't any support for GUI's for
(LADSPA) plugins right now. the most we have are a few apps (ardour
and sweep spring to mind) that build GUI's automatically based on the
LADSPA plugin descriptor. As a result, plugins that need more than
just buttons/sliders don't really do very well from a
GUI-controllability perspective. this is being worked on (slowly, and
in the background).

there can be no distributed VST support until Steinberg change the
license for the VST SDK. those of us writing open source software
cannot legally distribute the source for our programs if they include
the VST headers, and since those headers need modifying for Linux,
we're stuck.

--p