Re: [linux-audio-dev] Laaga "default" audio I/O hooks

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Laaga "default" audio I/O hooks
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Jul 19 2001 - 20:47:19 EEST

On Thu, Jul 19, 2001 at 11:08:31AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> int laaga_set_port_alias (const char *alias, laaga_port_t *port);

I presume you meant the arguments to be the other way round?

> this would have the semantics that:
>
> laaga_client_t *client = laaga_client_open ("me");
> laaga_port_t *portA = laaga_port_register (client, "foo", ...);
> laaga_port_t *portB = laaga_port_register (client, "bar", ...);
> laaga_set_port_alias (portA, "default audio output 1");
> laaga_port_connect ("me:bar", "default audio output 1");
>
> would connect portB to portA.
>
> what do you think? any design issues to consider? do we need "well
> known names" along the lines of tcp/ip "well know ports" ?

OK, that looks fine, you can specify a port either by either its id, or
its alias?

I think you would need either well known names, or some way of finding out
what kind of thing a port is, eg. a wave editor will want to open a few
ports for monitoring so it can play back the result of its mangling, so it
needs to be able to get a list of all the ports that connect to the
outside world and offer a list of options to the user.

The names will need to be consistant across sessions, so that the program
can attach to the same ones* again when it is restarted.

(* or the ones that are labelled the same)

BTW, one thing I'm not sure about, what ensures uniqueness of names?
Will the call to register just fail if the name of the plugin/port is
allready in use?

- Steve